Sunday, October 15, 2006

A heavyweight offer from Singtel and American Express

Today my dad placed a stack of mail on my desk and one thick envelope caught my attention. It was ‘A heavyweight offer from Singtel and American Express.’ On opening it, it says ‘ Saves $300, with compliments from Singtel.’ Turned out that there is the cost of a yearly subscription fee to American Express Platinum, and they are waiving the first year subscription.

Now, this is the first ever invitation for credit card sign-up ever addressed to me, so I was reading through the brochure quite excitedly, being the first time and all. You can actually get a ‘Free Longines watch worth $830, as long as you spend $5000 in a year’. Wah! Attractive leh. And with up to 50% off dining establishments at Raffles club, free golf whatever tour and spa wherever. Hmmm no wonder people end up in debt!

But too bad, I don’t think I earn quite enough for a platinum card yet, hehehehe! There goes my Longines. :( Dammit, why did they send it to me to tempt me like that? *Throws myself on sofa and wails*

Perhaps I can write in to the bank,

' Dear Mr Big and Important Officer of American Express,

A very marvellous day to you. As with all forward looking and estalished companies, I am sure the future is more important than the past. I had received your kind invitation of subscribing to the American Express Platinum, and I am assuring you that my potential pay for this year would surely meet the criteria for your application. Enclosed is testimonials from my boss, my boss's boss and my CEO as well as my fellow colleagues who all have 100% confidence in me reaching the annual gross pay of a measley $xxxxxxxxxx per annum only one year from now.

Please approve my application and my word of mouth referral will bring you millions of sales and new applicants! Not to mention my Longines watch which will dazzle all my friends and make them join immediately. Now, you dont know what you will be missing out, so you had better let me join!

Most Sincerely,
Miss Lihai Pasta'

And this incident actually made me surf around looking for another credit card to subscribe that is within my range. And I was looking through all the rewards Programme and everything. You have to spend like $3800 to get a $20 voucher dining voucher? Hardly worth the trouble aint it? And even though my friend told me that she pays her bills on time every month, she gets an extra $50 interest once, just that she was too busy to find out why. Hmmm.

I am wondering whether the extra discounts and perks is worth the trouble and the potential delay of payment (because I am kind of forgetful) resulting in the potential interest I have to fork out. Ahh, I know when I am old when I am considering stuff like that. I was even going to meet an insurance friend to get some policies but she was taken ill and send to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment